We set up a circus of three activities spending approximately 10 minutes at each activity. Download these as Teacher's Notes (172kb MS Word doc).
List of Resources
- Bamboo images
- Bamboo products
- Foods to taste (pomelo, rice, chillies, coconut)
- Food pyramid to construct
- Crossword, wordsearch and information sheets laminated – Japan Camp Crossword (26kb MS Word doc) , Japan Camp Wordsearch (34kb MS Word doc) and POW Camps in Japan information sheet (78kb MS Word doc) resources from www.historyonthenet.com website.
- Laminated table for diseases and cards to complete table.
- Samples of pomelo, coconut, spices and boiled rice to taste.
- Students had to construct a food pyramid and then compare a balanced diet to a FEPOW diet.
Resources – images of bamboo structures e.g. temple (6.47mb JPG), building (4.87mb JPG) medical tools and information. Also had plates and bowls made from bamboo, as well as samples of bamboo as it grows (6.98mb JPG). (See Design Technology activity).
- Images of diseases, including leg ulcers (731kb PDF)
- Card sort of 5 common diseases as per Prisoners of War – Diseases work sheet (223kb PDF)
- Link to modern day diseases.